Burt have won a pulsating 2018 Donegal Senior Hurling Championship Final at O'Donnell Park.

In an incident filled game, it really could have gone either way, but Burt held on and having withstood a Setanta revival they ended up winning by six points.

It finished:

Burt  3-14 , Setanta 1-14

Defending champions Setanta were down to 13 men at half time, and trailed by six points.

But Setanta mounted a tremendous fight-back in the second half of what turned out to be a nail-biting decider as they drew level with Declan Coulter in outstanding form.

The game was up for grabs in the closing stages.

One of their star players, Davin Flynn, got two yellow cards in the space of a few minutes as tempers flared near the touchline on a number of occasions in the first half.

Burt went ahead though Joe Boyle and Setanta then led 0-2 to 0-1.

In a low scoring opening Burt were in front, 0-4 to 0-2 after nine minutes.

A goal from Padraig Doherty put Burt ahead by 1-4 to 0-3 after his long range effort was misjudged by goalkeeper Gary McGettigan.

In the following few minutes tempers flared and Setanta lost Flynn.

Several skirmishes broke out and referee James Connors and his assistants had a real task to keep a lid on matters.

Burt got a second goal through Pierce Harrigan to make it 2-5.

Further drama followed and Burt led 2-5 to 0-6 when Setanta lost Bernard Lafferty to a straight red.

Niall Campbell added the last score of the first half to leave the Inishowen side in front by 2-6 to 0-6.

Setanta produced a stunning comeback in the third quarter with Declan Coulter getting a couple of scores while veteran Kevin Campbell struck from close range with a goal as Setanta reduced the arrears to 2-7 to 1-8.

It was thrilling stuff at this stage and misway through the second half, Burt led by 2-9 to 1-10.

Coulter continued his impressive performance with another free to leave just one point between the sides and he then scored a free from inside his own half to level the scores, Setanta 1-12, Burt 2-9.

With 25 minutes gone in the second half man of the match Coulter banged over yet another free to bring the sides level again at Setanta 1-14, Burt 2-11.

But Burt then scored a third goal as Enda McDermott found Ronan McDermott and he fired into the back of the net to put Mickey McCann's side ahead by 3-11 to 1-14.

Caolan McDermott then added the insurance point in stoppage time while Niall Campbell got two late frees.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.