Kilcar booked their place in the semi-finals of this year's Donegal Senior Football Championship with a deserved nine-point win over rivals Killybegs under the MacCumhaill Park floodlights in Ballybofey.

It finished Kilcar 2-14, Killybegs .0-11

In the end the south-west Donegal side could well have won by a bigger margin as they missed some decent goal chances.

But they also had to endure a 19 minute period in the second half during which they failed to score while Killybegs got five points on the trot to give them some hope.

However, Kilcar had also led by nine points at the break and it proved to big a deficit for the Fintra men to claw back.

Kilcar were never behind in this game and opened the scoring with a point from Matthew McClean while Mark McHugh added a 45.

Jack McSharry got Killybegs' first score but Kilcar then found the back of the net for the first time after nine minutes with Andrew McClean getting the green flag raised.

And barely 12 minutes had elapsed when the Towney men pounced with a second goal, this time from Patrick McBrearty to leave them ahead by 2-2 to 0-2.

And by half-time the Division One league winners led by 2-8 to 0-5 to leave Killybegs with the proverbial mountain to climb in the second half.

Killybegs enjoyed a good spell just after the resumption with the towering Hugh McFadden getting two frees and one from play while Paul Cunningham fired over a point as they reduced the arrears to five points, 2-8 to 0-9.

Kilcar, who struggled a little in midfield, had five wides during this time as Killybegs sensed a glimmer of hope.

McFadden then knocked a free over the bar on to leave Killybegs trailing by four points, 2-8 to 0-10.

It took 19 minutes of the second half before Kilcar got another score with Andrew McClean getting a point to steady a few nerves.

Substitute Michael Hegarty was involved in that score and also the next one for Kilcar, through Ciaran McGinley as Kilcar appeared to have got over their bumpy patch and they extended their lead back out to 2-10 to 0-10.

Mark McHugh and Patrick McBrearty soon added two more points as Kilcar's regained full control to push their lead out to eight points.

Ciaran McGinley got Kilcar's last two points late on while in between Donal McGuire got Killybegs' final score.

The final whistle saw Kilcar winning by a margin of nine points.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.