Speaking to Donegal Now following the recent cross-party meeting with Irish Water between Inishowen Oireachtas and Council members, Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn confirmed he had raised the issue of continual water outages in South Inishowen.

Senator Mac Lochlainn said: "For quite a while, I have pursued a meeting with the management of Irish Water to discuss the serious issues of constant water outages in South Inishowen and the completion of the water supply upgrade from the Eddie Fullerton Dam over to East Inishowen from Quigley’s Point up to Greencastle.

"The community in Greencastle have real health concerns about their water supply and they need to see an upgrade soon.

"On Monday, a cross party delegation of local public representatives met with Irish Water and they confirmed that they will be replacing 4.5km of main trunk line piping through the slab lands (Inch Island/ Burnfoot over to Burt). They also committed to replacing water pipes around the Bridgend area. This is welcome news and we will maintain the pressure to get these works done.

In relation to East Inishowen, they confirmed that 75% of the €5.6 million euro upgrade works have been completed and they hope to have a new contractor in place soon to complete the remaining 25% of the works (3-4 months duration) following Lagan Construction (who had won the contract) going into administration earlier this year. Again, we will keep at it," said Senator Mac Lochlainn.

Donegal  Councillor Nicholas Crossan (Independent)  gave the meeting a "cautious welcome."

Cllr Crossan said: "I welcome Irish Water's committment to prioritise pipe replacement across the Slab Lands in South Inishowen. That area has suffered disproportionately with disruption to the commercial and domestic water supply in recently years. However, no commencement work has been given for this work. Irish Water merely said they were going to prioritise this work. It could take years to come to fruition.

"Irish Water is also proposing to pump from the Eddie Fullerton Dam in Buncrana to Letterkenny, by extending the network from Manorcunningham.

"I do not think this makes sense, without the completion of the pipe laying work across the Slab Lands in Bridgend. If the cart is put before the horse in this instance, a burst pipe in Bridgend, as could well happen, will result in no water in Letterkenny. I think Irish Water would be well advised to fix the bucket, before they start to fill it up," concluded Cllr Crossan

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.