Organisers of the National Vigil for Life in Merrion Square, Dublin, have said they are ‘massively encouraged’ by the turnout at the event. The vigil was the first such event since the passage of the Government’s abortion legislation in 2013 and drew a crowd of close to 15,000 people. Buses came from across the country including from Donegal.

Pro Life Campaign legal consultant, Caroline Simons said: “After last year’s setback, we had no idea how many people would turnout today. We realise it’s going to be a difficult road back but we are massively encouraged that so many people are ready to get on board at this stage to help turn things around.”

In her address to the vigil, Ms Simons said: "It’s going to take time, but when the public comes to realise the full horror of what the new legislation involves support for the repeal of the law will gather pace.

Ms Simons told the vigil that the Pro Life Campaign will be releasing the findings soon of a recently commissioned poll showing a clear majority of women are opposed to abortion where it is shown that abortion is not a treatment for suicidal feelings.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.