Responding to the call for submissions from the HSE for the new National Framework for Suicide Prevention 2015- 2018,  EU election candidate Senator Rónán Mullen said he hoped the Government would use this information to inform an effective national strategy for suicide prevention.

He said: "Previously the HSE, the National Suicide Review Group and the Department of Health and Children published "Reach Out" which was intended to be a national strategy from 2005 to 2014 for action on suicide prevention. Regrettably, the vast majority of the 96 recommendations contained in the "Reach Out" document published in 2005 were never implemented nationally. There is no point placing advertisements in the national media, calling for submissions from individuals and organisations alike, if the Government is only paying lip service to suicide prevention."

Senator Mullen continued: "In Ireland, 10 people die as a result of suicide each week. Suicide among Irish teenage girls is higher than any other EU country, and for teenage boys it is the second highest. These are frightening statistics, and we appear to be talking around the issue all of the time, but not confronting this most serious public health problem in Irish society.

The Government is calling for submissions from members of the public with an interest in suicide prevention and those affected by suicide. What the citizens of Ireland do not need is another expert report, commissioned at considerable expense, which will simply gather dust on a departmental shelf. If so little from the last suicide prevention strategy has materialised how can we be assured that the same will not happen again?"

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.