Donegal Co. Council officials have held talks with Government officials over securing funding for Swan Park, Fine Gael Cllr Mickey Doherty has confirmed.

Cllr Doherty welcomed the talks which will now lead to an application for funding to the Department for Rural and Community Affairs.

The Fine Gael councillor also said he had been assured An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was well aware of the damage caused to the public amenity as Mr Varadkar had visited Swan Park last August - just three days after the flood.

"I want to thank Minister Joe McHugh who has worked tirelessly on behalf of the people of Inishowen since the flood with in the region of €20 million euro spent on infrastructure, farms, sports clubs and businesses with funding also now released for a flood relief scheme in Burnfoot," said Cllr Doherty.

"A meeting set up by Minister McHugh between officials at the Department of Rural and Community Affairs has now taken place with a view to submitting a funding application to help fix Swan Park.

"It is now up to Donegal County Council to submit an application for funding for Swan Park and everyone in the council will support that."

Cllr Doherty said he welcomed An Taoiseach's decision to meet homeowners affected by Mica during his visit to Donegal tomorrow.

"Unfortunately the concrete block issue has arisen in homes built between 2000 and 2006 during the so-called boom and it's an issue this Government has been working to fix for some time," added Cllr Doherty.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.