Donegal TD, Charlie McConalouge, has said that he strongly objects to the Taoiseach comments in the Dail yesterday regarding the neglect being experienced by Disability Services in Donegal.
Deputy McConalouge released a statement on his Facebook page and said, “Last week the Government failed to provide funding to a joint application by Icare, the Bluestacks Special Needs Foundation and Extern for funding under the 'Ability' Programme to provide funding to help young adults between the ages of 19 and 29 progress from school to employment or further education / training.
“While €16 million was provided to 27 projects nationally, Donegal was totally ignored and just one project North of the Dublin-Galway line received funding. This is totally unacceptable and an absolute neglect of the needs of young adults with disabilities in Donegal and the North West.”
McConalouge added, “The Taoiseach and Government must immediately revise this decision and ensure a fair distribution of funding that includes Donegal. I also raised the urgent need for Icare to receive HSE funding to enable them to continue to provide education, training and respite for children with autism in Inishowen.
“Icare simply cannot continue to provide this service from fundraising alone and Minister Harris & Minister McGrath need to follow through on a commitment they made at their meeting with Icare last year to provide the financial support needed to ensure that this crucial service for families and children can continue.”
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.