Up to 500 homes in west Donegal could be without electricity tonight.
The current storm may be dying down - but bitterly cold weather is on its way.
Crews from ESB Networks have worked throughout the day, in difficult conditions, to restore power to 17,000 customers affected by Storm Rachel. Gusts of up to 130km/h caused damage to the electricity infrastructure.
Most of the customers affected were in the North West and West of the country, along with smaller numbers affected in the Midlands, South East and other smaller faults.
At present there are now 3,100 customers without electricity supply and ESB Networks expects to have supply restored to most of these customers by this evening.
Unfortunately due to the numbers of faults in the North West, it is likely that approximately 400-500 customers, currently without supply, will not have supply restored tonight. These customers are mainly located in the following areas:
· Derrybeg (Annagry, Kincasslagh, Crolly)
· Falcarragh (Knockfola, Bloodyforeland)
· Ballina (Knockmore, Gortenamuck)
· Belmullet/Erris (Carnhill, Pullathomas, Falmore, Blacksod)
There is also a possibility that if additional faults occur this evening, it may not be possible to restore supply until tomorrow.
ESB Networks wishes to apologise to customers for this loss of supply.
Meanwhile, ESB Networks has issued the following message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
Customers without power can check for updates on when their fault is expected to be repaired at: www.esbpowercheck.ie, via Twitter at@ESBNetworks or telephone 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location. Updates will also be communicated via local radio.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
- never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
- turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
- leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
- take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
- test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
- ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.