A  man charged with 50 counts of sexual offences against two young girls will stand trial next year at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

The 51-year-old man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was sent forward from the District Court earlier this year in relation to the offences which are alleged to have happened on dates between 2007 and 2011 at locations in Dublin and Donegal.

The charges sent forward include 40 counts of child exploitation by inviting, inducing or coercing the alleged victim to engage in or participate in a sexual, indecent or obscene act. This includes engaging in the production of child pornography.

There are three counts of alleged sexual assault and seven of defilement of a child under the age of 17.

Today, Sarah Jane O’Callaghan BL, defending, told Judge Mary Ellen Ring that the trial was likely to take two weeks.

She said there was on-going communication between the defence and prosecution in relation to what she termed as “a large volume of disclosure”. She looked for liberty to re-mention the case should there be any issues surrounding the disclosure in the case.

Shane Costelloe SC, prosecuting, asked Judge Ring to make “the usual witness and exhibit orders”.

He said should there be any remaining disclosure issues they could be dealt with at the pre-trial hearing in June. 

Judge Ring remanded the man on continuing bail, first for a pre-trial hearing for June 5 next year and then for a trial on July 13 next.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.