Finn Harps are still looking for their first win of the league campaign.

At Finn Park it finished:

Finn Harps           3              Cork City        4

Cork City were stunned by conceding a goal inside the first 90 seconds but they recovered to secure a vital away win over a battling Finn Harps in a seven goal thriller  in Ballybofey.

Harps had the better of things in the first half, and led twice, but John Caulfield’s side dug in and two fine strikes from Gearoid Morrissey along with goals from Conor McCarthy and Graham Cummins put them 4-2 ahead before a Raffaele Cretaro strike ten minutes from time set up an exciting finish.

Harps got off to a dream start as Caolan McAleer surged through a surprisingly open Cork defence and confidently placed the ball past the advancing Mark McNulty with less than two minutes on the clock.

Caolan Mc Aleer celebrates scoring Finn Harps’ first goal against Cork City on Friday night at Finn Park. Photos: Gary Foy.

McNulty then had to go full stretch to stop a stinging Mark Coyle shot before City drew level on 15 minutes as Harps failed to clear a corner and Conor McCarthy rose to head relatively unchallenged past Gallagher.

The Donegal side then restored their lead on 36 minutes as Mark Coyle headed home a McAleer cross just moments after a Sean Boyd shot was blocked following a fine passage of play.

But City equalised on the stroke of half-time as Harps lost possession and Gearoid Morrissey capitalised with a super dipping shot from outside the box.

Keith Cowan stoops low to glance the ball away from a Cork City opponent during Friday night’s match at Finn Park.

City began the second half on a positive note with a flurry of corners and Conor McCarthy and Dan Casey both should have done better with close range headers.

The Leesiders deservedly took the lead on 57 minutes as Morrissey got the better of Raffaele Cretaro and having strode forward let fly with a swerving effort from outside the box that left Gallagher with no chance.

On 70 minutes substitute Graham Cummins headed in a Griffin corner as the visitors looked to be home and dry.

Cretaro had a decent curling effort not far wide at the other end and McAleer saw a free whizz just outside the post for the promoted side.

But veteran Cretaro then struck with a super drive from inside the box on 80 minutes to reduce the arrears to 4-3.

However, City held on and  Harps are still seeking their first league win.

Finn  Harps: Gallagher; Borg, Cowan, Todd; Deasy (McNamee, 73 mins), Ascroft, Cretaro, Coyle, O’Reilly; McAleer, Boyd (Boyle, 63 mins).

Cork City: McNulty; Horgan, Casey, McCarthy, Griffin; Morrissey, Buckley, McCormack; O’Connor (Rainsford, 79 mins), Sheppard (Comerford, 90 mins), Smith (Cummins, half-time).

Referee: Mr. Damien McGrath (Dublin).

Jacob Borg rises to head the ball to safety during an exciting match at Finn Park on Friday night as Cork City eventually proved just too strong for Finn Harps.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.