Inishowen Football League

Charlie O Donnell Cup Semi Final

Culdaff FC                 1

Glengad United     2

Glengad had it much tighter than expected against a very understrength home side in good conditions before a big crowd on Wednesday night. In the early exchanges Matthew Byrne headed over from a corner before Stephen Mclaughlin fired a snapshot just wide from the edge of the area.

Culdaff replied with two efforts from Brendan McLaughlin failing to trouble Kevin McLaughlin in the visitors goal. The first real chance of the game fell to Glengad after patient build up on 21 minutes ended with Terence Doherty chipping to the back post for Christopher McLaughlin to control and volley but Darragh McLaughlin made a superb tip over save. Minutes later John G McLaughlin also headed over after a corner.

Culdaff then created a gilt edged chance when Jack O Brien intercepted a defensive pass and fed Cathal McGrenaghan who burst into the area and laid the ball across to Brian McCandless whose goalbound effort hit a defender and broke to Brendan McLaughlin but his follow up was brilliantly blocked again. Glengad broke the deadlock with a stunningly simple goal after Stephen McLaughlin lifted the ball over the home defence for Seamus Doherty to lob the ball over keeper Mclaughlin from fourteen yards.

Five minutes later the same player increased the lead when he reacted well after his initial effort was blocked to volley to the unguarded net but the home defence should have done better. Glengad were rampant at this stage and a powerful Stephen McLaughlin drive from the edge of the area was superbly tipped onto the bar by McLaughlin in the home goals. Culdaff had the last chance of the half when Brendan McLaughlin broke on the right and his driven cross deflected off a defender into the arms of Glengad keeper Mclaughlin with McCandless lurking.

There were far fewer chances in the second period with Glengad having the first effort on 52 minutes when Doherty’s driven effort was well saved by the legs of McLaughlin. Culdaff spurned a gilt edged chance on 66 minutes after Dermot Diver flicked on a cross to send Brendan McLaughlin into the area but his low effort was blocked by the legs of Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad were dealt a blow on 77 minutes when Christopher McLaughlin was given a second yellow card for kicking the ball away and the home side set up a grandstand finish on 84 minutes when they got a goal back.

Brendan McGrenaghan broke from defence and spread the ball wide to substitute Aiden Cunningham and his sublime cross was steered home by Brendan McLaughlin from six yards. Culdaff continued to press and on 89 minutes Brendan McLaughlin’s inswinging cross from the right found Michael Coyle and from an acute angle his goal bound header was superbly beaten away by Kevin McLaughlin.

Culdaff continued to press but the visitors defence stood firm and advance to yet another final.

If you have a story or want to send a photo or video to us please contact the Donegal Now editorial team. Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Sunday please call 074 9112712. Between 5pm and midnight please call or text 086 792 2103. Or you can email [email protected] at any time.